The Selfish Pursuit of Medicine

On a whole general perception, medicine is a field where only
the elites enter, and they are somewhat selfless, because they want to lend their hands towards the people who surrounds them, towards the people they could reach. The so-called 'passion of selflessness' was thought to be required, otherwise, the sacrifices one made would have deter them from the field. Although there are many exceptions to these, let's make it the point of today's topic as there has to be some altruism to it, some may think?
I myself would like to believe that I'm entering the medical
profession for many selfless reasons. So many that they would award me with tonnes of Nobel Prizes for it. And yet, I know I am just being delusional, for I would only help those who I can help, provided that they want to be helped. Lately, I seem to reflect on my life. Somewhat, I have been selfishly neglecting my friends and family. My parents do everything in their abilities to support me. They have their lives too. But they had rather take some time out of their busy schedules to be with me. And my secondary school friends are still being kind enough to get me out of my maze of books. I'm still glad that we are still friends, for I know that I can make friends easily, and I could lose them easily too. But then again, in order to grab hold of my goals, I’ve had to somehow selfishly focus on myself. It’s hard to make it through the grueling exams without focusing on what you need to get done. At least, that was what I had thought. The fact that I do not require to score as many good grades now had made me slow down. Thank god that somehow, I am slowly turning into a Type B personality.
It's been quite some time since my college friends are back
in KL for their breaks. No phone calls, no MSN, and I'm somewhat still gleeful. At least I had some peace in mind, without the need to entertain them. Besides, the additional 'schedule' in my life would keep me busy for the time being, without any complains. The "close ties" with my college friends are highly attributed towards the difference in our school of thoughts. What holds us together in the first place was our college itself, and my own "extremely usefulness". This had always been my view of life. The number of friends I have is directly proportional to my very own usefulness. Of course, the term "Out of sight, out of mind" applies once you are of no usefulness. But then again, there would be some exceptions. These, of course, would be proportional to the luck one have, for destiny plays a role in it. Even so, I can guarantee you that each and every soul on earth still feels lonely deep down inside. Even the best of friends could have the darkest thoughts against each other, and they are expressed to a certain extent, with the degree of variability differs between individuals. At least I can say that from my own wide-range of observations, which might not be entirely true, but with a score of 80% confidence level. But as I had emphasize on myself, there is no need for
resentment. The life would be a better place to live if one helps another. I somewhat find joy in helping those in need, because it heals the heart and soul within. Of course, if one is expecting something in return, one would never be contented with their own aid. In the selfish pursuit of our own path of life, we had to forgo certain things. There is no need to regret, for choices have to be made. Success is measured in different ways, but the central path in the pursuit of happiness, in the end, is to satisfy the soul within. In fact, there's almost no right or wrong in this world. What we do are entirely based on our own beliefs and every single decision lies in our very own hands..
I totally agree that there really is no point in resentment..the world is too small for so much hate..and our lives are simply too short to be living with it!
*chingyeen
dengar dengar =)