What's cooking??

Orthopedics updates

I've felt that I am a slow adapter. Only towards the end of a posting that I would start to buck up. Well, Orthopedics is no different. Started to gear up and finished my case write up, and was the few of the earliest to complete in my group, when they were going to start their second CWU when I started on the 1st CWU. Oh well, maybe there's some compromise in quality, but I want a better quality of life in my life as well.

Assisted a closed manipulative reduction (CMR) in the OT on Monday. Technically, it's not an operation, so there's no scrubbing in thing. But then again, it was just a fracture of the bone in the forearm, where it took tremendous effort and strength to realign it, as the bone was also slightly rotated. I was providing the counter-traction strength while the doctor was pulling at the other side.

http://networksboise.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/smurfs_color_pictures_smurf_tug-of-war.jpg

It felt like a tug-of-war, with the patient's forearm being the rope. After several attempts, we got it straight. And that was after I burn out all the calories in my muscles. Could still feel some slight ache now on the shoulders and the thighs where I exert my full body weight. *Sigh* What a tiring job. I know I'm not that strong, but 800+ N of free weight was doing the job. And it's still tiring.

And yes, presented a case in the clinic. Finally! Couldn't help but felt proud that I did my first in this posting. Thank goodness to this specialist in Hand team which was rather good in teaching, and an interesting one. He's a new specialist, came back from Singapore, I heard. He was nice and supportive, and we like the spoon-feeding session of his.

So, now, time to start reading on the books. Been neglecting them for a month due to Facebook addiction. Not really looking forward to Pediatrics either, but well, we'll have to go through everything to graduate, so that is not a choice. Until then.

Comments (0)