It was recently when I was listening to Red.FM, of them going through the memory lane of the yesteryears. The hottest movies at that time, the music and bands, the "current" fad, and whatsoever that brings the very least reminiscence, reminding us of those "Oh, that was the year indeed".
I had prepared a long list, but as time stood by, I'd slashed most of it, and jotted down events which are most memorable in a way (or sort of)
The World:
The Y2K millennium. Contrary to popular belief, we were still alive. No end-of-days hoohaa from superstitious believers of trashcan cults. Well, some managed to cause mass suicides, but I guess it's better off that way. The Earth would be filled with not so many deluded people. And that'll be thumbs up for the environmentalists. Less people producing carbon.
My Life:
I had my 1st Gameboy Color at the age of 14. It was my birthday request. The Pokemon craze was dwindling, and I was the very few who got hooked at this time. Late bloomer indeed. This was also the year I got caught for playing computer games 4am in the morning one fine day, after maybe more than 100 times of doing it. Of course, I lied, and said that it was my first few times. :P
2001
The World:
George W Bush was elected as the US President. While Obama's campaign was all about "Change", George W Bush's campaign was all about "Charge" (ala military style). It didn't go well, and his popularity was dwindling to practically none. Until he decided to bribe Osama, his best friend in Middle East to set up the Sept 11 incident. The fall of the US World Trade Center twin towers and a few more foiled/ failed terrorist attacks. Well, no one really knows if it's really a conspiracy, but from there, he rallied the citizens of the America for an anti-terrorism counterattack, which is the only thing he knew best as a cowboy (or rather cow boy). The emotion-filled citizens of US were fooled to agree for a full scaled war against the so-called terrorism, and George W Bush had his way for the greater ambition of world domination. Or so he thought.
My Life:
Got my first and last A for Arts. Practised hard on it and even studied the theory. With that, managed to wipe the smirk of a classmate's face who had always boasted for his ability in Art. As we had similar grades for the other subjects and Arts was the last to be announced, he declared a victory and parade around the class. Well, I'd pipped him and he was all aghast. Not that I cared bout position, but his snob for an early insult? Too bad, I had the last laugh.
Oh yes, this was also the first year I had a crush. Not exactly the first, but one that would also have a crush on me as well. Well, it didn't materialize, because I was far too shy (You sure?) and I knew it wouldn't work. Well, she's now a part-time model I presumed, being part of the roadshow girls, but we never really chat anymore. The one last thing I did was to scare her by knowing too much, and I guess I was thought of as a stalker. Lesson #1: Never be a stalker!
2002
The World:
Finally a full fledged attack on Afghanistan. Against those potato buns, sweet buns and hot cross buns. (Talibans, to be exact) The war on "terrorism" seem more like a war of definite victory. Little did they know that the victory was short-lived while the agony was eternity.
My Life:
My first fight in secondary school. Somehow caused a new teacher to walk out of class with tears (without raising my voice or act of violence). It was a misunderstanding, and I'd apologized later. A classmate wanted to act hero and gave me a slap. I gave him a bloody tooth as a gift of love in return. Oh well, the scuffle resolved but that had teach him a lesson not to mess with the so-called "nerdy students". I wasn't one of those easily to be bullied in the 1st place.
And subsequently, I was the Tokoh Moral(Role model student in Morality) in the same year. How ironic. :P
This was also the year I'd scored my 1st (and last) goal in interclass soccer tourney. We were trashed throughout the 5 matches by 20+ goals, and I scored one out of the 3 goals by our team in total. Lol!
2003
The World:
Nothing in peculiar, but it was the start of the invasion by US on Iraq. A vendetta by George W Bush on Saddam Hussein, because the latter commented how he was still reigning while George Bush (senior) had already retired. It all bogged down on ego, and US showed their dumb fool supremacy of veto in the UN. Terrorism has taken on a new meaning. The country of power striking terror on other country, laying claims of peacebringer while all they did was no better than pirates, pillaging and laying down massacres. Irony was that each American soldier killed was mourned with a sense of extremely great loss while the innocent Iraqian civillians who died in the war were deemed useless.
My Life:
This was the year I had really started on a relationship.
Duration of courtship: 1 month
Start of relationship: 1 month before SPM exams
Signs of Relationship going haywire: Just before SPM exams
Total Duration: 3 months 12 days
The Experience of a Relationship: Heartless
Oh well, just like any puppy love, this one ended on a low note. But this was a well-learned experience such that to avoid the very same mistake again.
2004
The World:
Or rather Malaysia. General election again, with the then Prime Minister stood up to the challenge by being a clean and honest man. Of course, the reason why he was clean was because he wasn't given a share of the pie. It was the usual landslide victory when a new Prime Minister takes over the office. And not to forget the usual hooligans of paranoia-filled PAS supporters stopping every single bus travelling in and out of Kelantan and Terengganu. Buses ferrying NS trainees were halted by the road, with the hooligans threatening to beat up the trainees, refusing the explanation and demand to confiscate the trainees identity cards. Sore losers, indeed. Perhaps that's the way in Malaysia. The winners celebrated justice while the losers cry foul-play. It happens most of the time, regardless of parties.
My Life:
I had my license tokill drive. Caused a few scratches on both my parents' cars trying to squeeze out of the mosque area on a Friday noon. Now that's what I called leaving my mark.
This was the 1st year National Service was introduced in Malaysia. It was more akin to summer camp. I wasunfortunately fortunately selected into the program (supposedly randomly picked, but I'd suspected that it was foulplay selection by the principal.) Met quite a number of friends there, and enjoyed the time spent in the Agrocamp in Setiu, Terengganu.
I had prepared a long list, but as time stood by, I'd slashed most of it, and jotted down events which are most memorable in a way (or sort of)
2000
The World:
The Y2K millennium. Contrary to popular belief, we were still alive. No end-of-days hoohaa from superstitious believers of trashcan cults. Well, some managed to cause mass suicides, but I guess it's better off that way. The Earth would be filled with not so many deluded people. And that'll be thumbs up for the environmentalists. Less people producing carbon.
My Life:
I had my 1st Gameboy Color at the age of 14. It was my birthday request. The Pokemon craze was dwindling, and I was the very few who got hooked at this time. Late bloomer indeed. This was also the year I got caught for playing computer games 4am in the morning one fine day, after maybe more than 100 times of doing it. Of course, I lied, and said that it was my first few times. :P
2001
The World:
George W Bush was elected as the US President. While Obama's campaign was all about "Change", George W Bush's campaign was all about "Charge" (ala military style). It didn't go well, and his popularity was dwindling to practically none. Until he decided to bribe Osama, his best friend in Middle East to set up the Sept 11 incident. The fall of the US World Trade Center twin towers and a few more foiled/ failed terrorist attacks. Well, no one really knows if it's really a conspiracy, but from there, he rallied the citizens of the America for an anti-terrorism counterattack, which is the only thing he knew best as a cowboy (or rather cow boy). The emotion-filled citizens of US were fooled to agree for a full scaled war against the so-called terrorism, and George W Bush had his way for the greater ambition of world domination. Or so he thought.
My Life:
Got my first and last A for Arts. Practised hard on it and even studied the theory. With that, managed to wipe the smirk of a classmate's face who had always boasted for his ability in Art. As we had similar grades for the other subjects and Arts was the last to be announced, he declared a victory and parade around the class. Well, I'd pipped him and he was all aghast. Not that I cared bout position, but his snob for an early insult? Too bad, I had the last laugh.
Oh yes, this was also the first year I had a crush. Not exactly the first, but one that would also have a crush on me as well. Well, it didn't materialize, because I was far too shy (You sure?) and I knew it wouldn't work. Well, she's now a part-time model I presumed, being part of the roadshow girls, but we never really chat anymore. The one last thing I did was to scare her by knowing too much, and I guess I was thought of as a stalker. Lesson #1: Never be a stalker!
2002
The World:
Finally a full fledged attack on Afghanistan. Against those potato buns, sweet buns and hot cross buns. (Talibans, to be exact) The war on "terrorism" seem more like a war of definite victory. Little did they know that the victory was short-lived while the agony was eternity.
My Life:
My first fight in secondary school. Somehow caused a new teacher to walk out of class with tears (without raising my voice or act of violence). It was a misunderstanding, and I'd apologized later. A classmate wanted to act hero and gave me a slap. I gave him a bloody tooth as a gift of love in return. Oh well, the scuffle resolved but that had teach him a lesson not to mess with the so-called "nerdy students". I wasn't one of those easily to be bullied in the 1st place.
And subsequently, I was the Tokoh Moral(Role model student in Morality) in the same year. How ironic. :P
This was also the year I'd scored my 1st (and last) goal in interclass soccer tourney. We were trashed throughout the 5 matches by 20+ goals, and I scored one out of the 3 goals by our team in total. Lol!
2003
The World:
Nothing in peculiar, but it was the start of the invasion by US on Iraq. A vendetta by George W Bush on Saddam Hussein, because the latter commented how he was still reigning while George Bush (senior) had already retired. It all bogged down on ego, and US showed their dumb fool supremacy of veto in the UN. Terrorism has taken on a new meaning. The country of power striking terror on other country, laying claims of peacebringer while all they did was no better than pirates, pillaging and laying down massacres. Irony was that each American soldier killed was mourned with a sense of extremely great loss while the innocent Iraqian civillians who died in the war were deemed useless.
My Life:
This was the year I had really started on a relationship.
Duration of courtship: 1 month
Start of relationship: 1 month before SPM exams
Signs of Relationship going haywire: Just before SPM exams
Total Duration: 3 months 12 days
The Experience of a Relationship: Heartless
Oh well, just like any puppy love, this one ended on a low note. But this was a well-learned experience such that to avoid the very same mistake again.
2004
The World:
Or rather Malaysia. General election again, with the then Prime Minister stood up to the challenge by being a clean and honest man. Of course, the reason why he was clean was because he wasn't given a share of the pie. It was the usual landslide victory when a new Prime Minister takes over the office. And not to forget the usual hooligans of paranoia-filled PAS supporters stopping every single bus travelling in and out of Kelantan and Terengganu. Buses ferrying NS trainees were halted by the road, with the hooligans threatening to beat up the trainees, refusing the explanation and demand to confiscate the trainees identity cards. Sore losers, indeed. Perhaps that's the way in Malaysia. The winners celebrated justice while the losers cry foul-play. It happens most of the time, regardless of parties.
My Life:
I had my license to
This was the 1st year National Service was introduced in Malaysia. It was more akin to summer camp. I was
To be continued....
Comments (0)
Post a Comment