What's cooking??

Of Pepper and Pepperoni

http://img4.allyou.com/i/2008/08/red-peppers-l.jpg http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Everyone makes mistakes in some part of their lives. Sometimes, we just screwed up and hoped that we would never be reminded of it again. But I guess for most people, it comes back and haunt you.


Well, this happened a few years back while I was working part-time in Pizza Hut. You see, pizzas have various toppings to choose from, so it can be rather tricky for the customers to choose. As a well-trained waiter (or so it seems), you'll have to be able to describe each pizza, from the toppings to its crust, and to dictate the taste so that the customers could taste it from your descriptions. And of course, recommendations are always welcomed despite the fancy illustrations.


As you can see, I was never a fan of Pepperoni. To be exact, back then, I hadn't know what the heck was Pepperoni. Oh well, it's just an extension of "Pepper" (capsicum) perhaps. Or some sort of cooking style for the green or red capsicum. How would I know why would people put some green or red capsicum slices on their pizza? Dang them for not calling it salami, or hot sausages whatsoever.


There were various incidences such occurences occured, but one of it was a Chinese couple ordering pizza. I was the attending waiter, and they were on a vegetarian diet which was usual for the 1st and 15th of the lunar month. Since they asked for a vege dish, I'd even recommend the pepperoni pizza! Well, the couple hadn't know, and ordered it as well. After being served the pizza, they non-chalantly ate it as well with no complaints. Heck I know what went wrong if there's any. Since it was a short 2-month stint there, I hadn't really had a chance to realize my mistake. It was months after that, when I found out that pepperoni was meat and not vege!


By then I guess it was too late. I had done a few recommendations, unforgiven in my very own sense. I had never had a taste of pepperoni pizza there, because I wouldn't bother tasting capsicum pizza (or so I thought). I guessed if I'd tasted it, I would have known what it was. I've tasted it at times, it was just that I never knew it was pepperoni.


Imagine the horror and the sin when this was found out. It's like offering beef to GuanYin believers, or pork to Muslims. I'm basically violating their beliefs despite the non-existence of mal-intention.

Whenever I happened to bumped on any "pepperoni" word on a restaurant menu, or perhaps the sight of pepperoni, I guess I will always be reminded of that one (or a few) very grave mistake I had made. There's nothing that can be done now, but the memories will always be haunting me. *Sigh*


Comments (0)