What's cooking??

Malacca Malacca: I Came, I Ate, I Cabut

Since this is a one night trip, and we don't really plan to stay long, we tried some other assorted food there. To be honest, my plans were to try all the chicken rice balls in Melaka to come to a verdict of the really best. But Stella wasn't keen, she's on her diet and wouldn't want to get fat because of something she doesn't really fancy anyway. So, we tried this modern-looking chain restaurant of Famosa's chicken rice ball.

 
On a first glance, the chicken looks more presentable than Chung Wah. The chicken meat is of better quality than Chung Wah as well, and the chopping skills ain't too shabby. The rice balls impressed me as one of them fell from the floor from around 1.5 meters high and bounced up 1 meter high! The chef here must have watched too much of God of Cookery! (Stephen Chow's version)

But that's where the good side ends. Actually, it tastes rather bland, because broiler chicken and less tastier compared to "kampong"/ village chicken. Of course, broiler chicken is half the price of "kampong" chicken, but since the meat is more of tasteless, it should never be served as steamed chicken. At least Chung Wah coffee shop had the decency to seasoned it heavily with ginger sauce (to my liking, actually).

On the other hand, the rice balls here are too compressed, more akin to eating a ball of rice flour. This is due to the fact that their rice balls are machine-compressed, so it lacks the soft touch of the human hands (and also the dirty part) in the art of making rice balls. Overall, the food here tasted really bland. Such a waste indeed, when the food presentation would have won hands down.

***

The weather was hot in Malacca as well, so we went for another round of Durian Chendol. This time, it was Jonker Dessert 88. 

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Vh8ZhYCrKPqsq2gGSAFh-_QNJfQHArHM8vAc0lnLkVw--Slc9NoyhkA6Y5XQZoDPlQ7mzsdlQ2llrweUdhr
Picture from foodpoi.

Well, the service here is also subpar. I guess it must have been the tourist area. After being snobbed, by the old man selling the Chendol, my expectations of their food would be higher. Only the best food seller deserves to snob, in my opinion, nay? :P

But oh well, this is easily dismissed as canteen food. Everything is sugary, and the chendol ingredients are not promising. Where are those fat and chubby green chendol which had been the trademark of Malacca? Their sweetener is just Durian Dodol (gula melaka + some sort of durian artifical flavoring), most probably Tan Kim Hock style. If you love durian dodol, I guess this is the place for you. For me, I would expect genuine durian taste from a durian chendol. :P Yeah, I just heard someone shouting "Why don't you just eat real durian then?"..  My point is, don't call it durian if you can't make it taste like one. Similarly, I drink orang juice that tastes like orange, apple juice that tastes like apple, and honey dew juice that taste like honey dew. I think you get my point. There's no point for a guy going after a guy that looks like a girl, nay? Well, unless you're like someone like You-Know-Who-And-He-Will-Sue-You-If-You-Mention-His-Name.

Before I headed home, I found these tasty durian cream puffs!

  
 

These are chilled durian cream puffs from Taste Better. It's crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

The durian cream oozes out as you take a bite of it.

I'm not sure what sort of flavoring they used, but it really tasted like the real durian.

This is what I would really call the real deal.

After some googling effort, I found out that it's also in KL!

So there's no need to go all the way back to Malacca for it.. n_n

Initially, I bought 3 for RM5 to try out.

But now, I'd bought 12 for RM15 for my parents at home. I guess buying more is worth it after all. :P

Comments (1)

the rice ball bounced 1 metre high??? NO WAY! you must be kidding me...