What's cooking??

Convocation - To Go or Not to Go?

http://www.isabellflorist.com/images/convocation.jpg

 Convocation has never been a thing for me. Wearing a dumb-looking hat and a paper scroll which is obviously not your degree certificate because they are afraid that everything may get lost in the confusion. Seriously, how symbolic can this get?


Of course, I am not going to go for a ritualistic conversion of everyone to boycott their convocation. I just find the significance dwindling down to some cultural thing that "I did because everyone else does".


In a way, it signifies the ending of the journey that you partake once upon a time, many years ago. This journey would be rather long instead if you're taking a 5-years course, or maybe longer if you had to resit or repeat any academic year. An ending, once and for all, before you start on another new journey.


And so, which is why, convocation should be held under two conditions. One, it should be held where you started your journey and spend your time mostly there. Two, it should be held BEFORE you crash down the job reality.


For me, I supposedly started my education journey in UKM Bangi campus for a week there. However, it bears no significance because I did not spend my time educated there. In fact, I was in Kampus KL (near KL General hospital) for 2 years and UKMMC campus in Cheras for 3 years. To "complete" my journey in Bangi fish out no remnants of whatsoever nostalgic feeling  deep inside me. It is a place so distant that I can do without. Like parting with a stranger you've just met for five minutes. No hard feelings.


Furthermore, we have another convocation for our very own faculty, usually a day before. This convocation is usually held in or near our hospital, UKMMC, and so, this had more memories for us than the "formal" one in Bangi. Walking down this path was more enduring, and the shivers and chills when we thought back of the fresh nightmarish experience we had back then. Of course, the fond memories never failed to carve a smile as well. The joy and fun that we had seems like it was just yesterday.

But this year, we might be holding it in Titiwangsa, our hostel for KL campus. Well, that is still acceptable, although the memories appears to be far off distant. Well, better than none in Bangi. That's what I think.


And secondly, is the point that I would love to emphasize the most. Convocation should be held before we start our work! Imagine this, the excitement that had been built up for this day. The anticipation to join the work force and to serve the nation. The confidence that we had of our equipped knowledge fresh from the professional exams. The fiery speech from the chancellor, dean and the student rep motivates us to strive ahead for the future, for what lies ahead of us, the unchartered territory, and all the promises to keep in touch no matter what. Oh, if you'd seen those pair of fresh sparkling eyes of the eager young fresh grad doctors, you'd think that their passion level would be at 110%. 


I think that is what convocation is all about, apart from being a fool awaiting the death march down the path of "glory".


And now, we are already into reality. What excitement we had, had dissipated into thin air. The anticipation is gone, and the confidence of our knowledge had been squashed akin mashed potato. No matter how fiery the speech can get, no lies or sweet talk could get through us anymore. All you can see is a pair of dreary tired-looking eyes, some zombie-looking, some dejected, though we still see some glimmer of hope behind the despaired. We could only smiled, and meeting up with old firends is the only consolation, which could be done in Titiwangsa, where the KL city center is just nearby for a stroll or to hang out at a cosy cafe somewhere, instead of being under the hot sun in Bangi, sweating like some smoked bacon. Oh well, maybe there's sate Kajang, but it's just not the same.  


Working life is no fun, otherwise it's called hobby. But we do get paid after all. And life has to go on. On the other hand, I don't feel like wasting my precious holiday for such trivial matter(convocation). I'm seriously contemplating not going to Bangi for the convocation. Anyone with me on this? :P

Comments (0)