It was my first day in Ophthalmology posting today. For the first 10 minutes into briefing, I was almost very sure that I hated this posting. Eyes, are just eyes, it seems. The coordinator did not make it welcoming for us to be there. It promised misery so true that we'll wish we would not be there. And the rules and regulations? Crappy.
But soon, I was proven to be wrong after all (Glad it was). In the clinics, the doctors were friendly and willing to teach to us. Never mind our supervisor wasn't there, but we learned what we came to learn. Too bad that I could not appreciate any, and blind as a bat we could be as. There were many findings, enough to fill in a third of my 20 requirements of fundoscopy findings, if and only if we knew how to appreciate them. But that's besides the point.
There was this elderly man who came for follow up. All I knew was there was something wrong wit his lens, I guess. Something ICOL or like that, perhaps spelled backwards or anything. He was asking for guidance on cleaning his wife's eyes. There, the doctor was correcting him for he caused pain to his wife, which lead to a much more heated argument, as he claimed. Despite being taught the proper way, he was reluctant to help his wife, for admiting a mistake took a lot from his ego.
And there the doctor had to do a counselling job. Marriage counselling it seems. Ways to "tackle" the issue so the husband would help his wife. Ways such as explaining to the wife that it was an "alternative" method to clean his wife's eyes which was taught by the doctor. And ways to fish out his love for his wife from the sea of egoism. It wasn't an easy persuasion, but it sure was cute looking at a 60+ years old man acting like a kid when it comes to ego.
And there was this case of a 12 year old child coming for a followup. Her left eye was injured. Child abuse. The dad and her step mum did the unthinkable. And there I was disgusted at the thought of the father who was heartless. Until I heard that it was a doing from a hammer by her father. That is just way beyond the soul of a living being. Poor daughter who had almost been blinded by the hammer of the father's doings. What was he thinking?
There were many more interesting cases which can be seen in the clinic. One thing for sure, I was glad I was there. In the clinic, we "see" the world through the eyes of the patients. And we, became the eyes of the society, to observe and watch the flow of time. It sure does look interesting, but I'll have to make sure I'm finished with the requirements of the posting. Otherwise, I'll be "able" to come here AGAIN. (Note: There's no ophthalmology posting in 5th year)
Comments (0)
Post a Comment