After being inspired by some babylicious post, I felt like jotting down some expericience of my own. No, it's not about having my own baby either, because it's still a few years down the road for the time being.
I've spent 2 months in Pediatrics as my last posting in Year 4. I've seen quite a number of children, particularly from the sick to the extremely healthy ones. I'm sure I'm not the one seeing the most number of babies, with my record of going late and coming back early due to the flexible hours in GHKL without supervision. Well, it's called effective learning and suits my style, but that's gonna take another post by itself. By now, just like any other who went through the same training, I could estimate the baby's age just by playing with them. Assessing the children's milestone development is part of the training as well.
Therefore, I've played with quite a number of babies. I'd soon to notice that most of the children in General Hospital KL were cheerful to begin with. And then there were a few gloomy ones. The first thing that instinctively ran through my mind was, those gloomy kids must be very ill. Too ill to feel the joy, cheer, and laughter.
And then, over a period of time, I've my fair share of playing with cheerful infants and toddlers, to which some which were demanding for attention, coo-ing and babbling excitedly at the world and basically everything. It makes them adorable, and some of them had the strength to live and treasure each and every day. It doesn't matter if they had the slightest flu, it doesn't matter if some have HIV, it doesn't matter if some had to go through the torturing treatment for leukemia, retinoblastoma or any other cancer regardless of how treatable it was, and yet they could uphold the smile and carve another one right on your heart.
I was wondering, how could this happen? How could they be so strong when faced with such events and "difficulties" of these illnesses that most adults would sulk and grieve?
I didn't figure it out by myself, but my dear pointed it out for me. Their parents was a cheerful bunch as well. It wasn't the age of the parents, we'd seen older parents who were wise enough to handle their kids and also young parents who were excited (amidst the worries) to take care of their firstborn. This makes thing simple to understand. Happy parents bring up happy children, despite their illness. They look at the world in a positive light. How could they be so down when the world is waiting for them to explore?
And then again, the same can be seen from the parents whose kids were gloomy. They were equally as gloomy. How could the kids not learn to be gloomy when faced with a pair of gloomy faces from the start?
Perhaps what most parents would not realize is that what they do and how they react would affect their children. Parents are the ones nurturing the environment for their children, and their children are like a white blank sheet of paper, waiting to be painted with the colors of life. Their perception of course, goes after their parents, the first few people they interact in life. Which is why although some of us did manage to grow out of our parents' dreams, expectations, idealism and perception, most of us didn't. It does not require distance to separate from these, for I've seen friends and relatives apart who strive to be different from their parents, just to act the same. It could be the in the genes, it could be how your parents had moulded you, it could be your environment. But nevertheless, being similar to your parents is nothing wrong, learn from their strength and weaknesses, and think for yourself what is right and wrong (yet such perception were influenced by your parents from the start as well), and be HAPPY!
Maybe the children are a depictable model of our innerselves where adults had been reluctant to show. Who doesn't love the positive energy radiating from the kids? Could it be us that had somehow lost it in our journey of life that we long for it? Who would really love to hear the rant of a negative freind who would complain of practically anything and everything all the time? Ponder this for a moment, and we might find our very own answers.
Comments (0)
Post a Comment