What's cooking??

A Truly Inspiring Pediatrician

Today, I met a doctor. A great doctor. And also a great person. A doctor his age would have been too tired to teach, or to listen to his subordinates and students alike. And yet there he was, stood tall, yet humble. He was due for a talk in Hospital Slim River for the allied-health, and he stopped by at the Pediatrics ward. His passion for medicine never ceased, and he gave a short rounds to offer help if he could, and a short teaching for us in Hospital slim River. It was just a simple teaching on the management of acute asthma, but we had realised that it wasn't the content that matters. What we saw was a great person with overflowing passion for Medicine that could truly inspire the people around him. If only he had been my supervisor in Pediatrics posting, no doubt I'll be one of those aspiring Pediatricians. 


"Medicine is not in the wards, it is outside of the wards." He urged the medical officers in the wards to go out and "adopt" a peripheral clinic and visit there often to gain experience. He understands the situation of the mushrooming of medical schools, and yet he never grumble but offered solutions to the problems. Such a positive way of thinking that I would have respect him much more than most of the doctors I've seen. If he would have been to UKMMC, I think he would have been one of the top doctors, being one of the most inspiring figure. But then, he already is. He's teaching at a national level, organising courses for personnels, doctors and other medical staff alike, apart from his current job. And yet he could also find time for his passion in bird watching and authoring books in his hobby. One that could balance his life so well that he is a role model, in and out of Medicine. I wish I could met him earlier, but now is never too late. I hope he could be the inspiration I'm in dire need of.


He is Dato' Dr Amar-Singh HSS, Consultant Community Pediatrician & Head of Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Ipoh.

Comments (2)

it is doctors like these that keep many of us whether medical students or HO/MO/aspiring future specialists who're plaqued by immense workload or fluctuating motivation going. thank God for them! :D

i heard of him before... he's an inspiring legend... good for you that you had the opportunity to be inspired :)