These words hold the power of concern when it was being wielded in the olden times. We really want to know how is a person doing, and what has he or she has been up to. Therefore, we throw this simple question into the pit and voila, a pretty decent conversation starter to rekindle old friendship.
Unfortunately, many would be puzzled, for it is now overly used in daily conversation. How often do you get an answer from that question apart from "I'm Fine" as in "Hi" followed by "Good Bye"? In fact, the person who asked in the first place do nt even intend to know, perhaps just to break the routine of Hi and Byes with a slight variation.
Well, that's at least better than some who may even expect to be asked in return for them to retell a story so long as a series of Hong Kong TVB drama, the one as long as The Condor Heroes series. It could start off like:
A: Hi, how are you B? Long Time no see.
B: Well, I'm fine. What about you?
A: Oh, I had the best day of my life. You know, blah..blah..blah..
A: Life is tough, and blah blah blah...
A: I'm the best, bah blah blah..
A: You know, I'm blah blah blah...
A: The boss praised me. blah blah blah..
A: Everyday, I blah blah blah...
And there goes a few hours ofPublic speaking one-sided talking, telling purely on oneself. While it is safe to say 80% of such are non-bloggers, there are still a meagre 20% who still adhere to this customary communication. And as age catches up, people start exhanging the phrase "How's your son/daughter?" and on they go with their own children, telling of their "successful" stories. Given ample time to live, they would be retelling even the legends of their great great grandchildren.
And please, "How Are You?" is not a pickup line as being used by jerks who had no other lines in mind. It's no lamer then the line "Hi, my name's Moto Moto, so good you have to say it twice" from Madagascar 2, but it'll be enough to raise a few eyebrows and wrinkles from the forehead.
Or perhaps, the phrase had been commonly used by politicians in their attempt to garner votes, which literally translated to "Remember me, you arsehole, and vote for me."
I could go on and on about it, but I guess my readers (you) get the point. It's always been refreshing to hear some thoughts from the floor (literally), so what say you about it?
And now, while many may be beguiled by the the numerosity of meanings lying in this ancient text of wisdom, do not be disheartened to ask "How are you?" to any friends you met on the street. Just remember to add in a little bit of concern into that phrase. Who knows, perhaps that one friend may be needing it as he/she may be on a verge of severe depression.
So, let's get the ball rolling.
Unfortunately, many would be puzzled, for it is now overly used in daily conversation. How often do you get an answer from that question apart from "I'm Fine" as in "Hi" followed by "Good Bye"? In fact, the person who asked in the first place do nt even intend to know, perhaps just to break the routine of Hi and Byes with a slight variation.
Well, that's at least better than some who may even expect to be asked in return for them to retell a story so long as a series of Hong Kong TVB drama, the one as long as The Condor Heroes series. It could start off like:
A: Hi, how are you B? Long Time no see.
B: Well, I'm fine. What about you?
A: Oh, I had the best day of my life. You know, blah..blah..blah..
A: Life is tough, and blah blah blah...
A: I'm the best, bah blah blah..
A: You know, I'm blah blah blah...
A: The boss praised me. blah blah blah..
A: Everyday, I blah blah blah...
And there goes a few hours of
And please, "How Are You?" is not a pickup line as being used by jerks who had no other lines in mind. It's no lamer then the line "Hi, my name's Moto Moto, so good you have to say it twice" from Madagascar 2, but it'll be enough to raise a few eyebrows and wrinkles from the forehead.
Or perhaps, the phrase had been commonly used by politicians in their attempt to garner votes, which literally translated to "Remember me, you arsehole, and vote for me."
I could go on and on about it, but I guess my readers (you) get the point. It's always been refreshing to hear some thoughts from the floor (literally), so what say you about it?
And now, while many may be beguiled by the the numerosity of meanings lying in this ancient text of wisdom, do not be disheartened to ask "How are you?" to any friends you met on the street. Just remember to add in a little bit of concern into that phrase. Who knows, perhaps that one friend may be needing it as he/she may be on a verge of severe depression.
So, let's get the ball rolling.
How are you?
remind me of the movie prof harlina made us watch - Wit - bout a woman with ovarian ca. im bored.. help..
how are you?
i'm fine thank you very much..=p
2 jean:
really? what show? dun rmbr watching it..
2 shin yin:
I'm fine 2, thank you,would like to elaborate more, but it's all in my blog. keke...
Never the better mate.