What's cooking??

What Med School Has Done to Me

I've never bothered much about my self-image, until recently when my dear pointed out my few strands of gray hair. Arrggh!!!!

Strands of gray hair of mine

Well, some may argue that gray hair is normal, but it is rather uncommon for my family to have such traits, especially when it was a sudden appearance in 2 months time. With lack of sleep and stressful life, plus the lack of nutrition and entertainment, millions of cells die every day.

Not to mention the accelerated death of millions of neurones every hour during exams.

Well, on the bright side, life as a medical student does ensure that you won't get to gain too much weight to be obese. Unless you're a doctor, and that's another different story. My pants has gone down one size on the waist, although I don't have the cachexic look, so stop wondering about cancer.

One size down, and the absence of 6-packs. Wait, did I have 6-packs in the first place? :P

An uncle that I had known mentioned that I did not have the medical doctor "look" when I was in 1st year med school, compared to his nephew who had graduated just 5 years. Now I know what he meant. It's the haggard look, the looks of a person who had endured too much that basically the life is sucked out of us like a whirlpool. Many survived, but not many can say that they had not changed. If and only if I had managed to proceed to the final year of med school, I would look back at the times when I first set my foot here with my aspirations and ambitions. No one doubt that we all change, no matter which path that we take.
The question is, is it worth it?

Comments (2)

i have had people in my family telling me i don't have the doctor look as well. and yea i guess i get it now, the tired, haggard, constantly lacking of sleep and rest, older than age look. and you know what? sometimes i think i'm getting it already. most of us are. especially in our white coat mode.

as for the last sentence of your post, i guess i have a reply to that, but probably i'll probably put it up as a post, at my own blog. wouldn't want to spam this space with a too-long comment.

Wear a specs, then maybe you'll look more like a med grad lol.