What's cooking??

The Runaway Maid

http://teachingamericanhistorymd.net/000001/000000/000101/images/runaway.jpg

Nothing was stolen, no one was hurt. The morning my mother had woken up at around 8am, my grandmother was still sleeping in her room. My grandma should be having her morning wheelchair "stroll" by then. Mother was searching around for the maid and was puzzled by her disappearance. The house was a small one, so it took less than a minute to figure she was gone for good. I came down from my room and there it was, a note on the table:

To mom,

Saya dah balik ke Minah, tak nak jaga popoh lagi.

XXX



And there she goes, even leaving the house keys behind. I'll doubt she'll duplicate one since our "wooden" door is a custom-made aluminium(not like the flimsy aluminium can, I beg your pardon) one and hard to duplicate the keys.

The first thing that came to my mind was, did we mistreat the maid? Whenever I hear a maid on the run, that was the first doubt that came into mind. But heck no, otherwise she would be having her revenge and you'll see my family and I being in a massacre with not just stone mortars but basically any possible kitchen utensils that filled mother's kitchen. So, I must have been glad that I am alive, although I did lock my room before I go to sleep.

Before anything is hurled that I am a rich spoilt kid, I do handle my own chores when I need to, and I don't need 20 over maids to dress me or send me to toilet, and neither to feed me nor be my footrest. This maid was hired to take care of my grandma who had ambulatory problems which the new Neurologist in UKMMC diagnose as a Parkinson Plus syndrome of MSA due to her cerebellar atrophy, urinary incontinence and Parkinsonism. It is hard to tell with her stroke affecting her as well, which Prof Hamidon had initially diagnosed her as Parkinsonsim secondary to stroke. But that's not the point. the point is, the maid just need to take care of my grandma, while mother would still be at home to oversee my grandma's progress. No other house chores are needed.

I must say that this maid is really a smart one, for she had an ambition which would not befit as a maid. She'd run away after 8 months, because she would have repay all her debts to the maid agency, mother, and everyone else before she starts anew, possibly in the restaraunts in Chow Kit where her ability is highly sought after and she was offered more than RM1k a month plus the freedom to go anywhere she wants. She made sure she'd done everything in order so that we wouldn't be too hotheaded to hunt her down.

As sometimes I would think, a smart person would not be contented with such a job, so they'll make it a stepping stone.

Yes, a dumber one may have ambitions too, but they are stuck because of their own folly.

Nothing can be done now, guess we'll get a replacement from the maid agency while mother would have to take care of grandma and I'll need to help out a bit here and there.

For the runaway maid, good luck on your pursuit of happiness. Let's just hope no one get cheated again.

Comments (1)

sorry to hear that your maid ran away. thank goodness she didn't do anything to harm your grandma.

from my personal experience and stories that i've heard from my friends, i can conclude that most (not all) maids would show their true colours after the 8th month of working here, no matter how good we treat them.