What's cooking??

My First Needle Prick Injury


Statistics showed that 90% of medical personnel would had at least ONE needle prick injury in their lifetime. The rest of 10% might consist of hospital janitors, admin clerk and pharmacists.


I had a left medial ankle ulcer for the past 4 weeks. It wouldn't heal completely, and there's now induration and perhaps tenderness. Since I just passed surgery posting recently, I would have diagnosed myself with lipodermatosclerosis. Or maybe venous ulcer. But I'm too young for my age and a male! No diabetic signs as well. So there might be some foreign bodies there, eh?

In a heroic attempt, I tried injecting lignocaine to the area and make an open incision to investigate the cause. But I'm not really able to bear pain, and I'd no idea how to do anesthesia. In the end, I gave up and pricked my finger when my left hand was cleaning the wound with alcohol swab. That's my first needle prick injury. At least I got mine and it wasn't from the blood of an infected patient. :P

The index finger of my left hand

Well, that's a lesson well learnt. Be careful of needles when they are around. Not much blood, but it would suffice to pay for a lesson.

Many would ask, "Why not see a doctor?"

And I'll answer that most of the time, even the doctors have no idea of what they are doing. It's all trail and error. I'll advise the public to not accept the doctors' decisions blindly. Let them explain to you and you must question their actions.

My mum is a staunch believer of what the doctors do. Well, that cost hers, her father's life and almost her mother's. Somehow, I havealways believe that doctors are just plain idiots who might be good at what they are doing. Apart from that, most of them just have an IQ of 90 outside of their field.

I must admit though, for doctors, the higher you go up the ranks, you are definitely smarter than the ones below you. And Klinik Warga in the hospital must have been the lowest rank of all time.
They are just clueless GP's with perhaps bovine brain just as good as private GP in knowledge but without the PR skills. I had reasons to tell you why.

#1: My dear had pruritis (itchiness) on her palms with tiny nodules on her fingers. It had been there for the past 8 weeks now. The first doctor just looked at her hands, while the nodules could not been seen, so wasn't noticed. The doctor just prescribed steroids and voila, no improvement at all.

The second doctor she saw 1 week later did not enquire of past treatment, and did not even attempt to look at her hands. I'm sure he is talented in telephone medicine or telepathic medicine. Now there's skin flaking off and we're still figuring what's the cause and hoping for a self-limiting condition.

Or resort to see a private dermatologist since the Klinik Warga refuse to refer anything, because that will make them look stupid. They are stupid anyway.

#2: Caryn's chronic cough for more than 4 weeks was still prescribed with flu meds and anti-histamine, with stronger dosage without any improvement. She was refused of any further investigation or referrals, other than the Mantoux test. The cough could get so terrible that her eyes were bloody red.

Well, at last, a referral was given by a surgeon when she coughed so badly that it could be heard outside of the operating theater.

Nevertheless, there was no drastic improvement, but she recovered eventually, without any known cause. Probably it was self-limiting chronic problem.

In the end, I've lost faith in Klinik Warga in the hospital. Unless you're sure of your diagnosis, don't go there. Go there just for the medicine.

As they always say, "Free things no good and good things no free."

At least in private hospital, they provide you with the ambience(no medical students) and act nicer so that they could con all your money. :P

Comments (8)

Hi Yee Ming,

how is ur clinical years? fun?

hehe.. be more careful when playing with needles.. in the labs, we are recommended not to recap syringes for safety. The last time my friend tried to recap during microbiology lab, then she pricked herself with E.coli.. Haha.. u shud have seen her face..

She was like "I dont wana die.. how how?! I dun wana die." while scrubbing her finger franctically with soap.. hehehehe... she scrubbed so hard that the finger turn purple...... then Prof came and said, the bacterial strain is a weakened one, wont die, dun worry.. only then she stopped!! hahaha...

but yea, needles are scary..

hmmm.. reading your post... i understand your mum & grandpa have passed away in the hospital? isit due to medical complications or hospital negligience... sorry if i misunderstand that paragraph..

c ya... be a good doctor!!!

caryn coughed for 4 weeks. one thing i cld say (even tho not a doctor) she's not physically fit, right? in terms of exercise lah.

1. pricking your own finger is not considered needle prick injury leh... ==

2. Why la degrade dr until IQ 90? not everyone like that..

3. The only reasons i go to klinik warga is :
a: to get the dr to prescribe the drugs i want and MC (oh, i'm so good at making up symptoms now, haha!)
b: to get a referral

4. Caryn's case, probably post-URTI cough.. some of them can last as long as 3 months... self-limiting, no worries, just symptomatic relief..

2 teddy:
erm...my mum is still healthy and alive.. typo error there.. oni her dad pass away..

no point scrubbing hand anyway, even if it's active, just give a course of antibiotics as prophylactics.. keke..

2 johnny:
erm..it's nt about being exercising or not.. out of ques la..

2 shin yin:
1. anything unintentionally is still a needle prick injury esp if it involves needle sticks.. :P

2. Ok la, giv back IQ till 100..hehe..

3. Eh? how to get referral? must we insist on one eh?

4. erm, it's rather serious for post-URTI cough... sometimes full of phlegm, sometimes not, and almost can vomit yest's meal out (exaggeration here)sounds not serious, but u gotta see her face flushing red with the bloodshot eyes.. whew!!

Hi there,

Chronic cough for 4 weeks?
If it's not post-URTI cough,
wht abt GERD?
close to 50% patients whr cough is due to acid reflux had no other symptoms.

Anyway, just a guess.

Best of luck.

This comment has been removed by the author.

ic ic.. enjoy ur work then..

hahaha.. btw, tell u something funny, this pricking urself wif needle thing seems to be contagious..

i pricked myself yesterday doing a sub-Q on a rabbit! hahaha.... deng!!!!

c ya.. take care..

Have you heard of can heal others but can't heal oneself?